Radu Patrice Horaud holds a position of director of research at INRIA Grenoble Rhône-Alpes, France. He is the founder and director of the PERCEPTION team. Radu, formerly Horodniceanu, was born in Bucharest, Romania, arrived in France in 1972 at the age of 18, and became a citizen of France in 1975. Radu’s research interests cover computational vision, audio signal processing, audio-visual scene analysis, machine learning, and robotics. He is the author of over 200 scientific publications. Radu pioneered work in computer vision using range data (or depth images) and developed a number of principles and methods at the cross-roads of computer vision and robotics. In 2006, he started to develop audio-visual fusion and recognition techniques in conjunction with human-robot interaction. He is an area editor for the Computer Vision and Image Understanding (Elsevier), a member of the advisory board for the International Journal of Robotics Research (Sage), and an associated editor for the International Journal of Computer Vision (Kluwer-Springer). In 2001 he was program co-chair of the IEEE Eighth International Conference on Computer Vision (ICCV’01) and in 2015 he was program co-chair of the 17th ACM International Conference on Multimodal Interaction (ICMI’15). Radu Horaud was the scientific coordinator of the European Marie Curie network VISIONTRAIN (2005-2009), STREP projects POP (2006-2008) and HUMAVIPS (2010-2013), and the principal investigator of a collaborative project between INRIA and Samsung’s Advanced Institute of Technology (SAIT) on computer vision algorithms for 3D television (2010-2013). In 2013 he was awarded an ERC Advanced Grant for his five year project VHIA (2014-2019). In 2015 he received a three year grant (joinlty with Florence Forbes) from Xerox University Affairs Committee.
Submitted papers | ArXiv | Journal articles | Books and book chapters | Conference articles | Radu’s Google Scholar profile | IEEE Xplore
Talks, courses, tutorials…
- Keynote speaker at the IEEE/ISPRS ICCV Workshop on Multi-Sensor Fusion for Dynamic Scene Understanding, 23 October 2017, Venice, Italy.
- Keynote speaker at the IEEE ICCV Workshop on Multiview Relationships in 3D Data, 29 October 2017, Venice, Italy.
- Invited long talk at the Workshop on Model-Based Clustering, “Model-Based Clustering Opportunities for Audio-Visual Scene Analysis”, Paris, France, 19 July 2016.
- Talk at Amazon, Seattle, WA, 13 July 2016.
- Talk at SRI International, Menlo Park, CA, Artificial Intelligence Center (AIC) Seminar Series, “Auditory and Visual Scene Analysis for Multiparty Human-Robot Interaction”, 8 July 2016.
- Talk at Google Research, Mountain View, CA, 7 July 2016.
- Invited talk at the IEEE ICCV’15 Worskhop on 3D Reconstruction and Understanding with Video and Sound, Santiago de Chile, Chile, 17 December 2015.
- Tutorial Embodied Audition for Robots at EUSIPCO’15, Nice, France, 31 August 2015.
- Program co-chair of ACM ICMI’15 (International Conference on Multimodal Interaction), Seattle, 9-13 November 2015.
- Video course (MOOC) on Binaural Hearing for Robots, May-June 2015.
- Invited speaker at the IEEE HUMANOIDS’14 Workshop on Cognitive Humanoid Robotics Research, 18 November 2014, Madrid, Spain.
- Invited speaker at RFIA’14, 30 June – 4 July 2014, Rouen, France.
- Invited speaker at the SIMA workshop, 28-31 May 2014, Ein Gedi, Israel.
- Invited speaker at the Third Japan-France Symposium on Binaural Active Audition, BINAAHR, 30 September – 2 October 2013, Toulouse, France.
- Invited tutorial on “Manifold Learning” at CAP’13 (Conférence Francophone sur l’Apprentissage Automatique), 3-5 July 2013, Lille, France.
- A short tutorial on 3D sensors, INRIA Grenoble Rhône-Alpes, Montbonnot, France, 16 April 2013.
- Course on “Manifold Learning Techniques for Signal and Visual Processing” (MLSVP), March-May 2013, Ecole Doctorale EEATS. Location: GIPSA Lab.
- Course on “Three-Dimensional Sensors” (3DS), February-March 2013, Ecole Doctorale MSTII. Location: INRIA Grenoble Rhône-Alpes.
- Invited talk at the German-French Workshop on “Perspectives on Cognitive Interaction and Technology”, 4-5 June 2012, Bielefeld, Germany
- Invited keynote speaker at the “Global 3D Technology Forum”, organized by Korea’s 3D Fusion Industry Association, Seoul, Korea, 10-11 October 2011.
- Invited review lecture “3D Shape Representation Using Graph Kernels” at the Third International Conference on Scale-Space and Variational Methods in Computer Vision (SSVM’11), May 2011.
- Invited lecture at the “3D Forum” of the Samsung Advanced Institute of Technology, Seoul, South Korea, April 2011 (Powerpoint slides).
- Course on Data Analysis and Manifold Learning (DAML), Winter 2011.
- Tutorial on Shape Analysis Using Diffusion Geometry (The Heat Kernel) at the 10th European Conference on Computer Vision, Hiraklion, Greece, September 2010.
- Video of an invited talk that I gave at Microsoft Research (Richmond, WA) back in 2008.