Xavier Alameda-Pineda is a Research Scientist (Chargé de Recherche) at Inria Grenoble Rhône-Alpes, at the Perception Team and at Université Grenoble Alpes. His research interests are multi-modal fusion, machine learning, computer vision and signal processing for scene understanding and human-robot interaction.
Born in Barcelona, Catalunya, Spain. He obtained the degree of Mathematics from the Faculty of Mathematics and Statistics in 2008 and the Degree in Telecommunications Engineering from the School of Telecommunications in 2009 both from the Technical University of Catalonia. Afterward he moved to Grenoble to follow the Computer Science MoSIG Masters program in the GVR option (Graphics, Vision, Robotics) at UFRIMAG from Université Joseph Fourier (Grenoble 1) and ENSIMAG from Grenoble-INP. He obtained his PhD in Mathematics and Computer Science from the Université Joseph Fourier (Grenoble 1) in the PERCEPTION team at INRIA Grenoble Rhône-Alpes, under the supervision of Prof. Radu Horaud. He then moved to Trento for a two-year post-doc at the Multimodal and Human Understanding Group, with Prof. Nicu Sebe.
Xavier Alameda-Pineda was nominated as the recipient of the SIGMM Rising Star Award of 2018 for his contributions to multimodal social behavior understanding. In the past, he was involved in scientific studies awarded in different top-level venues:
- Novel Technology Paper Award Finalist for Tracking a Varying Number of People with a Visually-Controlled Robotic Head, with Yutong Ban, Fabien Badeig, Silèye Ba and Radu Horaud, at IEEE/RAS IROS 2017.
- Best scientific paper award for Multi-Paced Dictionary Learning for Cross-Domain Retrieval and Recognition, with Dan Xu, Jingkuan Song, Elisa Ricci and Nicu Sebe, at IAPR ICPR 2016.
- Best paper award for Analysing Free-standing Conversational Groups: A Multimodal Approach, with Yan Yan, Oswald Lanz, Elisa Ricci and Nicu Sebe, at ACM MM 2015
- Best student paper award for A Variational EM Algorithm for the Separation of Moving Sound Sources, with Dionyssos Kounades-Bastian, at IEEE WASPAA 2015.
- Outstanding paper award for Finding Audio-visual Events in Informal Social Gatherings, with Vasil Khalidov, Florence Forbes and Radu Horaud, at IEEE/ACM ICMI 2011.
- Multi-speaker audio-visual diarization (Dec’18) at Bar-Ilan University
- Multimodal social behavior understanding (Oct’18) at ACM International Conference on Multimedia
- On the social acceptance of artifial intelligence [In French] (Sep’18) at Forum PMI
- Audio-Visual Multiple Speaker with Robotic Platforms (May’18 ) at University of Trento and RHUM Workshop
- Multimodal human behavior analysis in the wild – tutorial (Dec’16 ) at IAPR International Conference on Pattern Recognition
- Emerging topics in noisy and missing data – tutorial (Oct’16 ) at ACM International Conference on Multimedia
- Matrix completion: a computer vision perspective (Jun’16 ) at Carnegie Mellon University and Digital Video and Multimedia Lab of Columbia University
- Multimodal behavioral signal processing in the wild (Jun’16 ) at Télécom-ParisTech
- Variational EM and non-linear optimization for multi-sensor scene analysis (Dec’15 ) at Laboratoire d’Analyse et d’Architecture de Systèmes du CNRS
- Free-standing conversational groups: the SALSA dataset and multi-modal head and body pose estimation (Nov’15 ) at Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya – Image and Video Processing Group and Inria Nancy Grand-Est – Team Multispeech
- Multimodal Automatic Analysis of Group Behavior – Multimodal Rising Star Lecture (Oct’15 ) at SIGMM Inaugural Workshop on Multimedia Frontiers