Ketty Favre will defend her PhD on Thursday, October 7th, 2021 at 14:00 in amphi Bonnin, building 5, INSA Rennes.
This presentation is entitled “LiDAR-based point clouds registration for localization in indoor environments“.
This thesis deals with the problem of registration of 3D point clouds in indoor environments.
Registration methods are proposed to obtain a compromise between time and accuracy.
First, GNMR-ICP, a multi-resolution algorithm which robustly minimizes the point-to-plane distance between two point clouds using a Gauss-Newton method.
On the ASL benchmark dataset, GNMR-ICP gives more accurate results than its equivalent using the small angle approximation (81% success rate against 43%). Computation times in structured environments are reduced (up to a factor of 2). Next we present NAP-ICP, an algorithm based on plane matching. Planes are matched using a score function based on the characteristics of pairs of planes.
An additional point-to-plane registration is performed to ensure maximum accuracy. NAP-ICP registers 100% of the interior scenes of the ASL dataset and is more accurate than the evaluated state-of-the-art functions and is able to close the loops of the LOOP’IN dataset.
Finally, PAR-ICP, a plane-based method where the matching is performed using a Random Forest is presented.
PAR-ICP registers 100% of the interior scenes of the ASL dataset and is able to close the loops of LOOP’IN, allowing to generate incremental maps.
The jury will be composed of:
– Rémi Boutteau, Professeur des Universités, Université de Rouen Normandie
– Guillaume Caron, Maître de Conférences, HDR, Université de Picardie Jules Verne
– Paul Checchin, Professeur des Universités, Université de Clermont Auvergne
– François Pomerleau, Professor, Université Laval, Québec
– Myriam Servières, Maître de Conférences, HDR, Centrale Nantes
– Luce Morin, Professeur des Universités, INSA Rennes
– Eric Marchand, Professeur des Universités, Université de Rennes 1
– Muriel Pressigout, Maître de Conférences, INSA Rennes