This page contains some news. This is by no means comprehensive. For more thorough descriptions, check the yearly report of activities.
- SequeL presents 5 papers at ICML this year: see you in Stockholm! We also co-organize the Prediction and Generative Modeling in Reinforcement Learning ICML workshop. We are also proud to have 2 SequeL members listed among the top 10 reviewers for ICML 2018 (É. Kauffman and M. Valko), 1 former member too (A. Lazaric), as well as a former post-doc among the outstanding reviewer (G. Neu).
- We also co-organize the ITS workshop
- Daniele Calandriello receives the AFIA award for his PhD thesis.
- M. Valko is speaking at International Workshop on Optimization and Machine Learning at CIMI, Toulouse (September 10-13th, 2018)
- SequeL is selected to organize EWRL 2018, 3rd EWRL in Lille in its history (after 2008, and 2015). We will be happy to welcome you in Lille in October.
- We are organizing Optimizing Human Learning workshop at ITS 2018.
- J. Mary and M. Valko are speaking at Journée Big data, Polytech’Lille on March 22, 2018.
- We are co-organizing CNRS Summer school on Networks, Graphs, and Machine Learning (RESCOM 2018) in Porquerolles, June 18-22, 2018.
- Adobe research highlights our work on online influence maximization
- Julien Seznec, our PhD student publishes an article in Les Echos that discusses ML for education.
- CNRS publishes a French article about zonotope sampling presented at ICML.
- Daniele Calandriello and Julien Perolat defend their PhD on Dec. 18th
- Marc Abeille defends his PhD on Dec 13th
- Pratik Gajane defends his PhD on Nov. 14th
- Guesswhat?! demonstrated at the 50th Inria anniversary
- 9 papers accepted at NIPS 2017: see you in Long Beach!
- Équipes associeés Nord-Europeénnes 2017 led by Michal Valko was accepted to work with the team of Alexandra Carpentier on the project on Adaptive allocation of resources for recommender systems (acronym: Allocate)
- SequeL has 6 papers accepted at ICML 2017
- GuessWhat!: computers learn to talk
- SequeL has one spot-light presentation at CVPR 2017 (selection rate for spotlight is 5%)
- SequeL displays a strong presence at AI&Stats 2017, presenting 6 papers this year.
- Alessandro Lazaric interviewed on machine learning driven e-learning
- On Jan 1st, Matteo Pirotta joins the group as a post-doc, working on the ANR ExtraLearn project
- Frédéric Guillou defends his PhD on Dec. 2nd
- On Dec 1st, Ralph Bourdoukan joins the group as a post-doc
- Tomáš Kocák defends his PhD on Nov. 28th
- On Nov. 1st, James Ridgway joins the group as a post-doc
- June 2016: Michal Valko defends his habilitation à diriger les recherches
- April, 2016: Alessandro Lazaric is an invited speaker at DALI 2016
- January 11-12th, 2016: Emilie Kaufmann and Michal Valko were invited speakers at Multi-armed Bandit Workshop
- December 14th, 2015: Marta Soare defends her PhD
- November 24th, 2015: Jérémie Mary defends his HDR
- November, 2015: Nuukik awarded after its succesfull collaboration with Jérémie Mary, and SequeL
- November 2015: Émilie Kaufmann joins SequeL as CNRS junior researcher
- October 2015: Christos Dimitrakakis joins SequeL as assistant professor
- September 2015: Bilal Piot joins SequeL as assistant professor
- June 24th, 2015: ICML is closing in: Lille, center of the ML world!
- Check the binaire blog on Le Monde website (in French) “L’apprentissage automatique : pas à pas
- May 2015: in press: Michal Valko explains why he teaches machine learning at École Normale Supérieure
- May 2015: Victor Gabillon (former PhD student in SequeL) and Bilal Piot (currently post-doc in SequeL) are both ranked 2nd at the Artificial Intelligence French Association (AFIA) price.
- February 1st, 2015: SequeL has been officially renewed for a new period of 4 years. This third period of life of SequeL begins on Feb 1st, 2015 and lasts until December 31st, 2018. At that time, SequeL will end as an INRIA team-project.
- January 2015:
- researcher positions at INRIA are open. 3 CR positions available in Lille.
- 3 assistant professor positions open at the university possibly in relation with SequeL
- Engineer position for a contract of 3 years.
- Post-doc and PhD
- Jan, 2015: associate team EduBand with CMU, Pittsburgh, led by Alessandro Lazaric, is accepted for 3 years from now on.
- Dec 18th: Olivier Nicol defends his PhD thesis
- Dec 17th-19th: Lihong Li visits us.
- Nov 19th-20th: Mike Bowling visits us.
- Oct 12th, 2014: Frédéric Guillou wins the ACM RecSys challenge. See pictures here. sur le site INRIA
- July 24th: More on our work with Deezer
- July 1st, 2014: Boris Baldassari defends his PhD
- June 12th, 2014: Victor Gabillon defends his PhD
- June 11th, 2014: Mohammad Ghavamzadeh defends his Habilitation à diriger les recherches
- May 2014: Olivier Pietquin was selected to Institut Universitaire de France for research excellence.
- May 2014: INRIA advertizes our collaboration with Deezer
- May 2014: Rémi Coulom in wired and on slate.
- Dec, 2013: Jérémie Mary and the behavior on the Internet
- Nov. 18th, 2013: Azadeh Khaleghi defends her PhD
- Oct. 2013: Azadeh Khaleghi receives an E. M. Gold Award for her paper at ALT 2013
- June 2013: announcement from the IMLS: SequeL will host ICML 2015 in Lille, France from July 6th to Sat. July 11th, 2015
- June 2013 Alexandra Carpentier PhD is awarded with a 1st accessit of the Prix de thèse de l’AFIA 2013.
- May 2013: INRIA publishes an article about Face Recognition
- April 2013: a new, stricking, victory of Crazy Stone against a human player (aussi en français)
- November 30th, 2012: Christophe Salperwyck defends his PhD
- October 5th, 2012: Alexandra Carpentier defends her PhD
- Sep 1st, 2012: Michal Valko joins SequeL as an INRIA junior researcher
- June 21st, 2012: J-F. Hren defends his PhD.
- June 2012 Odalric Maillard recoit le Prix de thèse de l’AFIA 2012.
- Mar 2012: the exploration / exploitation challenge is open.
- Dec 19th, 2011: Daniil Ryabko defends his Habilitation à Diriger les Recherches
- Oct 3th, 2011: Odalric Ambrym-Maillard defends his Phd
- Jul 2nd, 2011: Olivier Nicol and Jérémie Mary rank first at the 2nd round of the Exploration & Exploitation Challenge
- May 8th, 2011: Olivier Nicol ranks 1st at the 1st round of the Exploration & Exploitation Challenge; 2nd is Christophe Salperwyck currently working on his PhD in SequeL and Orange Labs; 5th is Jérémie Mary, assistant professor, yet another SequeL member.
- Sébastien Bubeck ranks 2nd at the price of the French PhD in Artificial Intelligence (AFIA), 2011
- Sébastien Bubeck receives the Jacque Neveu 2011 award (best PhD in statistics)
- Nov 26th 2010: Sébastien Bubeck has been ranked 2nd for the 2010 Gilles Kahn award (best PhD in computer science)
- starting Sep. 14th 2010, Peter Auer visits SequeL during 10 days
- The cover of the July 2010 Pour la Science magazine advertize Rémi Coulom’s paper about ranking in games and sports
- Sébastien Bubeck defends his PhD on June 10th, 2010 at the ENS-Ulm. He is the first student to defend a PhD in SequeL.
- Laszlo Gyorfi visits us on March 19th.
- from Feb 4th to Feb 11th, 2010, Boris Ryabko is visiting SequeL during 10 days
- V. Gabillon, J. Mary, and Ph. Preux received the best paper award at the 10e Extraction, Gestion des Connaissances (EGC) for their paper “Affichage de publicités sur des portails web”
- S. Bubeck receives the best student paper award at COLT’2009.
- Fall 2008: R. Coulom’s Crazy Stone wins against a human expert
- Sep 2008: Machine Learning Summer School (MLSS) at Île de Ré, organized by M. Davy and J. Mary
- June-July 2008: SequeL organizes the 8th European Workshop on Reinforcement Learning
- Jan 2008: creation of the Predict & Control spin-off by P-A. Coquelin
- 2007: R. Coulom’s Crazy Stone becomes a valuable opponent for a human being at the 19×19 Go game. He is awarded with silver medal.
- Jul 1st, 2007: SequeL is officially created as an INRIA team-project.
- Apr 3rd, 2006: SequeL is created as an INRIA team, located in Lille.
- Spring 2005: M. Davy, R. Munos, Ph. Preux meet and begin to talk about creating SequeL.
PhD and HdR defenses
- Dec. 2017: Daniele Calandriello defends his PhD
- Dec. 2017: Julien Perolat defends his PhD
- Dec. 2017: Marc Abeille defends his PhD
- Nov. 2017: Pratik Gajane defends his PhD
- Dec. 2017: Frédéric Guillou defends his PhD
- Nov. 2016: Tomáš Kocák defends his PhD
- June 2016: Michal Valko defends his HdR (https://tel.archives-ouvertes.fr/tel-01359757)
- July 2016: Hadrien Glaude defends his PhD (https://tel.archives-ouvertes.fr/tel-01374080)
- Dec 2015: Marta Soare defends her PhD (https://tel.archives-ouvertes.fr/tel-01249224v1)
- Oct 2015: Jérémie Mary defends his HdR (https://tel.archives-ouvertes.fr/tel-01374729)
- May 2015: Amir Sani defends his PhD (https://tel.archives-ouvertes.fr/tel-01256178)
- Dec 18th, 2014: Olivier Nicol defends his PhD (https://tel.archives-ouvertes.fr/tel-01297407)
- July 1st, 2014: Boris Baldassari defends his PhD (https://tel.archives-ouvertes.fr/tel-01297400)
- June 12th, 2014: Victor Gabillon defends his PhD (https://tel.archives-ouvertes.fr/tel-01297386)
- June 11th, 2014: Mohammad Ghavamzadeh defends his Habilitation à diriger les recherches (https://tel.archives-ouvertes.fr/)
- Nov. 18th, 2013: Azadeh Khaleghi defends her PhD (https://tel.archives-ouvertes.fr/tel-00920184v1)
- November 30th, 2012: Christophe Salperwyck defends his PhD (https://tel.archives-ouvertes.fr/tel-00845655)
- Oct 5th, 2012: Alexandra Carpentier defends her PhD (https://tel.archives-ouvertes.fr/tel-00844361v1)
- Jun 21st, 2012: Jean-François Hren defends his PhD (https://tel.archives-ouvertes.fr/tel-00845898v1)
- Dec 19th, 2011 Daniil Ryabko defends his HdR (https://tel.archives-ouvertes.fr/tel-00675680v2)
- Oct 3th, 2011: Odalric Ambrym-Maillard defends his PhD (https://tel.archives-ouvertes.fr/tel-00845410v1)
- July 8th, 2011: Manuel Loth defends his PhD (https://tel.archives-ouvertes.fr/tel-00845441v1)
- 2011: Nicolas Viandier defends his PhD (https://tel.archives-ouvertes.fr/tel-00664264v1)
Yearly reports of activities
- 2017 on-line version, and the pdf version
- 2016 on-line version, and the pdf version
- 2016 on-line version, and the pdf version
- 2015 on-line version, and the pdf version
- 2014 on-line version, and the pdf version
- 2013 on-line version, and the pdf version
- 2012 on-line version, and the pdf version
- 2011 on-line version, and the pdf version
- 2010 on-line version, and the pdf version
- 2009 on-line version, and the pdf version
- 2008 on-line version, and the pdf version
- 2007 on-line version, and the pdf version
- 2006 on-line version, and the pdf version