Professor of Informatics at ENS Rennes
IRISA, ENS Rennes and INRIA Rennes Bretagne – Atlantique
Campus Universitaire de Beaulieu
Office: F425 Rouge (extension: 72 02)
Mobile Phone: + 33 6 88 76 xx xx
Preferred mail address: email@example.com
Warning: I am unfortunately difficult to join on a fixed phone, as I am working on multiple sites. To join me, please send me a mail or call me on my mobile phone number if you know it.
- Programming Languages
- Parallel Programming
- High-Performance Programming
- Clusters, grids and clouds programming platforms
Web page updated!
I studied pure mathematics at École Normale Supérieure (ENS) in Paris, and then turned to Informatics for my PhD Thesis defended in 1982 under the supervision of Marie-Claude Gaudel. After a post-doctoral year in Aarhus, Denmark, I joined CNRS as a researcher, working at University Paris 7 and then at ENS Paris with Krzysztof Apt on the semantics of parallel programming languages (Hoare’s CSP), which was the subject of my State Thesis in 1987.
I got a full professor position at ENS Lyon in 1990, where I chaired the teaching department and the Informatics department of the doctoral school. There, I worked on the semantics of high-performance data-parallel languages (C*, HPF) and their implementation on distributed clusters, and on high-performance multithreading (PM2) and zero-copy communication (Madeleine) libraries.
I moved to ENS Cachan in 2001 to found the teaching department of Informatics at its Brittany extension in Rennes, now a self-running school called ENS Rennes. I joined the IRISA laboratory and the local INRIA Research Center in the team of Thierry Priol. In 2009, I co-founded with Gabriel Antoniu the KerData team to work specifically on the management of very large-scale data on distributed platforms as clusters, grids and clouds.
A list of publications can be found on DBLP
Recent PhD Students
- Lokman Rahmani, 2013–, 30%. Data Management Approaches for Post-Petascale Supercomputers
- Radu Tudoran, 2011–2014, 30%. High-Performance Big Data Management Across Cloud Data Centers
- Matthieu Dorier, 2011–2014, 30%. Addressing the Challenges of I/O Variability in Post-Petascale HPC Simulations
This PhD Thesis was awarded the 2nd Prize at the ACM Student Research Competition, at the ICS 2011 conference
- Viet-Trung Tran, 2009–2013, 30%. Scalable data-management systems for Big Data
- Alexandra Carpen-Amarie, 2008–2011, 30%. BlobSeer as a data-storage facility for clouds : self-Adaptation, integration, evaluation
- Diana Moise, 2008–2011, 30%. Optimizing data management for MapReduce applications on large-scale distributed infrastructures
- Bogdan Nicolae, 2007–2010, 30%. BlobSeer: Towards efficient data storage management for large-scale, distributed systems
This PhD Thesis was awarded the 2nd Prize for the national Gilles Kahn Thesis Award, sponsored by the French Academy of Sciences. This prize awards the best PhD thesis in France in Informatics.
- I have been working since 2012 on a part-time basis (40%) at the French National Agency for Research (ANR). There, I serve as a senior scientific officer at the Numerics and Mathematics Department, led by Jean-Yves Berthou. I am in charge of the Fundamental Informatics scientific area.
- I serve as the vice-chair of Steering Committee of the Euro-Par series of conferences. There, I am specially in charge of the workshops.
- I am in charge of the doctoral student-oriented activities at the IPDPS and Cluster conferences.
- I am a member of the French National University Council (CNU), Informatics section (27).