The main focus of the Regal project team covers a larger part of the whole Computer Systems spectrum. Our topics include Distributed systems, Managed Run-time Environments (MREs, a.k.a. language-level virtual machines) and operating system kernels.
We focus on the following objectives:
- Distributed algorithms for dynamic and large networks.
This objective aims to design distributed algorithms adapted to new large scale or dynamic distributed systems, such as mobile networks, sensor networks, P2P systems, Grids, Cloud environments, and robot networks. We study various key topics of distributed algorithms: mutual exclusion failure detection, data dissemination and data finding in large scale systems self-stabilization and self-* services.
- Management of distributed data.
We focus on some emerging architectures: first on distributed hash tables (DHTs), and increasingly on cloud computing architectures. Our research topics include replica placement, responsiveness, load balancing, consistency maintenance, consensus algorithms, and synchronization in such environments.
- Performance and robustness of Systems Software in multicore architectures.
Our focus has shifted away from the integration of an MRE into an operating system kernel, and towards the efficient management of system resources at the user level. Issues considered include efficient synchronization and memory management in large-scale multicore architectures. We also focus on the robustness of system software, based on the Coccinelle technology.
- Large-scale distributed computing environments, cloud and peer-to-peer computing
- Distributed algorithms for dynamic networks
- Fault Tolerance
- Data replication and consistency
- self-* algorithms
- Runtime support for multicore computing, garbage collection
- System software reliability
International and industrial relations
- Collaboration Federal University of Bahia (CAPES/COFECUB) – Brésil
- Collaboration F. Santa Maria University (CONYCIT) – Chilie
- Collaboration JAIST – Japon
- University of Lisbon (Pessoa)
- Grants: Microsoft, Google
- Projet Europeen Grid4all
- ANR Blanc ABL
- ANR Telecom : SPREADS
- ANR Verso : PROSE, SHAMAN
- ANR Arpège : MyCloud
- FNSN Nu@ge
- ANR Infra : I-JVM