Our conviction is that the success of the Internet of Things is rooted in the network designing choices involving its devices and related protocols/services as well as the edge-core network communication loop. Therefore, the research of TRiBE is organized around following research directions:
- technologies for accomodating low-end IoT devices
- technologies for leveraging high-end IoT devices’ advents
- technologies for edge-core network interaction
OUR VISION: Such research directions together will contribute to our vision of a Smart, Unified, and Tactful Internet edge skilled for answering application, services, or end-users’ purposes.
With those three research directions, the team place its efforts in the three main elements composing the ecosys- tem of IoT devices:
- the device itself: here, we tackle the optimization, simplicity, and unification requirements imposed by the heterogeneity and low capabilities of low-end IoT devices. This brings the necessity to deal with hardware and software specificity of devices, while adapting designing choices and simplifying deployment.
- their usability: here, we focus on issues related to “how” and “for what” IoT devices are used. This also brings the human element into play, which dynamics are shaping the way their mobile devices are interacting with the edge of the Internet and consequently, are requesting and consuming network resources and services.
- their network context: This element closes the network → usability → device → network loop by bringing solutions supporting functions and communication between IoT devices and the core of the Internet.