Automatic control approaches and methods are increasingly utilized in microbiology research. Today, computers are not only used for the analysis of experimental results, but also for the dynamic control of the experiments. However, the control action is often limited to simple open-loop approaches. The development and use of experimental platforms for the closed-loop feedback control of microbial systems are on the other hand very recent, and promise to revolutionize the research domain.
Project-team IBIS (https://team.inria.fr/ibis/) of the Inria Grenoble – Rhône-Alpes research center, which includes personnel of the Laboratoire Interdisciplinaire de Physique (LIPhy) of Université Grenoble-Alpes, has developed an experimental platform composed of mini-bioreactors and a system of fluidic connections for the automatization of microbiology experiments. We seek an engineer for the develoment of the control software of this platform. The software shall have a modular structure, enablng the integration of different feedback control strategies developed by other researches. The control software develoment tasks consist of :
1. The analysis of a software developed within Inria for similar systems (ODIN, https://team.inria.fr/biocore/fr/software/odin/ ) and the evaluation of its adaptability to the project platform ;
2. The adaptation and the integration of the ODIN control architecture, or
3. The development of a new control architecture and the programming of the control software and its graphical interface ;
4. The documentation of the software system.
The project is based in Project-Team IBIS of Inria Grenoble – Rhône-Alpes. It will involve activities at the Laboratoire Interdisciplinaire de Physique (LIPhy) of Université Grenoble-Alpes, where several IBIS members are located.
In addition to researches of IBIS and LIPhy, the project will involve collaboration with developers of ODIN at Inria Sophia – Antipolis-Méditerranée.
Skills and profile
We seek a development engineer (level bac+5) for a CDD of one year, starting November 1st or as soon as possible, with the following competences :
– Excellent knowledge of C++ and event-driven programming, and relevant development environments (e.g. Qt) ;
– Basic notions of electronics / hardware systems
– Propensity for team-working, proactivity, analysis skills.
Knowledge in biology is not strictly necessary for the development of the project. Competences in mechatronics / fluidic systems and their control via software constitute a plus.
We offer an international, interdisciplinary and stimulating working environment, with a net salary in the range of 2000-2100 Euros /month depending on profile and experience.
Interested candidates shall contact Eugenio Cinquemani