Associate Professor (MCF)
Phone: +33 2 99 84 72 62
C101 (building 12C), Inria Rennes
Campus de Beaulieu
35042 Rennes, France
Francesca Galassi is an Associate Professor of Computer Science at the Ecole supérieure d’ingénieurs de Rennes (ESIR), and a researcher in the Empenn lab. She received her PhD from Imperial College London (UK) in 2014, with a thesis on navigation and tracking in interventional MRI procedures. Prior to joining the Empenn lab, she was a Postdoctoral Fellow at the Acute Vascular Imaging Centre, Oxford (UK).
Francesca co-manages the Information Systems specialty (parcours Système d’Information) at ESIR alongside Zoltan Miklos. Don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions regarding study plan, projects, or internships, whether you are a student or from research or industry.
Francesca is with the Women in MICCAI Board. Get to know about our mission and get involved http://www.miccai.org/about-miccai/women-in-miccai/
Keywords: Medical Imaging, Image Processing, Segmentation, Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Transfer Learning
Her research interest is in Artificial Intelligence for healthcare, having the potential to improve patient diagnosis, treatment and prevention. Her main focus is the automated detection and segmentation of multiple sclerosis lesions in brain and spinal cord MRI. She is currently investigating transfer learning strategies that can address the variation in MR images due to different acquisition systems or patient populations, so to handle and leverage the large amount of labelled and unlabelled data at training time, and thus achieve more accurate and robust models.
Her teaching activity at the Engineering School ESIR comprises Deep Learning for image processing, Data Mining, Graph Algorithms, and Medical Imaging.
- 2021-present Associate Professor, École supérieure d’ingénieurs de Rennes, Empenn, Irisa-Inria, FR
- 2019-21 Assistant Professor, École supérieure d’ingénieurs de Rennes, Empenn, Irisa-Inria, FR
- 2017-19 Postdoc, Segmentation of lesions in brain MRI, Empenn, Irisa-Inria, FR
- 2014-17 Postdoc, Segmentation and 3D reconstruction in cardiovascular imaging, AVIC, University of Oxford, UK
- 2010-14 PhD, Instrument Tracking and Navigation for MRI-guided Interventions, Imperial College London, UK
- MSc in Applied Physics, University of Bologna, IT
- Bachelor in Physics, University of Bologna, IT